My MCM decision

I did not register for MCM today.

After stressing out about the decision all last night and this morning, I decided enough was enough. I just needed to choose.

And I chose not to run MCM.

There were a lot of factors that went into this decision, but the biggest one was what many of you pointed out yesterday.

My heart just wasn’t in it.

Registering for any race should be exciting and fun, full of anticipation and maybe a little bit of nervousness. It shouldn’t feel like a burden or chore.

Today, I wasn’t ready to commit to 26.2. Maybe in a month that will change. Maybe this summer I’ll want to run a marathon and if that’s the case, there are several other options: Philly, Baltimore, Richmond. All of them would work and would be just as awesome an accomplishment as MCM.

But for now, I’m perfectly content running and training for middle distances. I love the half marathon, I’m thrilled to tackle my first 10 Miler this weekend. For now those distances pose enough of a challenge that I’m still pushing myself, but having fun.

I know I can handle training for these races and balance my time with friends and family.

Today wasn’t the day for me to sacrifice that or stress out about how to balance it all. I only get a little bit more time to be a care-free “kid” who can spend her summer weekends sitting by the pool til all hours of the night with friends.

For now, my races are going to have to fit in with my life. I’m not going to try to fit my life in around my races.

Comments

1. Heather C says:

I'm with you!! I wanted to do it, but at the same time I don't want to go overboard with this marathon stuff too soon and totally burn out….plus, omg, summer training? GROSS. :)

we'll enjoy our short distances and worry-free running a lot more! ;) I did the 10K last year and will probably do that again, you should join! then it'll be on to cheer/run with my friends that ARE doing the Full…

2. Wes says:

well, your heart has to be in it is #1, so EXCELLENT decision :-)

3. Gina says:

Good for you! I have no life so I have plenty of time to train for it. Haha! I have a feeling I'll be sticking to smaller distances after October, but I just want to see how I do. :) Summer training will be brutal I'm sure, but I think it will be quite an accomplishment to say I ran the Rail Trail. :)

4. I think that was a good decision for you. Personally I really have no desire to run anything longer than 9 or 10 miles, with the occasional half marathon just for fun with friends.

5. Amber says:

I can tell just by reading this post that you made the right decision!!

6. jamie says:

Glad you figured out what was best for you right now! That's what is important.

7. Olivia says:

I'm with Amber, it's pretty clear you're heaving a huge sigh of relief! You have to follow your bliss! Have fun on you're halfs!! …halves??

I just remembered I owe you a report on my eggplant parmesean: Total winner! At least in my book. I polished off the remaining leftovers last night (is it possible it was better day 2?). The hubs is a texture-phobic and though the squishiness of eggplant is not his cup of tea he cleaned his plate and even went as far as to say. "well, the sauce and the cheese were good." (which, if you knew my husband is a compliment – I'm shocked he put a piece in his mouth at all let alone cleaned his plate! Must not have been so bad after all!). Thanks for the great recipe!

8. I've been debating whether to sign up for the MCM too. I registered for Chicago (my first!), and then my irrational brain is telling me "you'll already be trained for it, might as well take advantage of it, and the 3 weeks in between = taper!" while my rational brain is telling me "You'll be crossing the finish line in Chicago claiming you're never going to run another marathon again. Do you really want the extra stress?"

And here I am, with a half filled registration, still trying to figure out what to do!

9. Kacy says:

It's clear that you absolutely made the right decision! Good for you!

10. Viper says:

You made the right choice. If you're not into and not enjoying, there is no point. If you're not winning money/prizes or having fun, what's the point?

11. Viper says:

I need to check into a writing clinic …

12. Jess says:

Good for you! Making the kinds of running decisions that work best for you is a true marker of a "runner"!

13. meg ling says:

Great choice and you sound so confident about your decision so it must have been the right one!

14. The RockStar says:

Sounds like you made the right choice.

15. Lisa says:

You seem content with this choice. Good for you!!!

16. Abby says:

I think you made the right decision!

17. Teacherwoman says:

Sounds like YOU made the right decision for YOU. :)

18. thetwentyfifthyear says:

I agree with your decision and what the comments say – you definitely made the right decision. I think you listened to your gut and your heart, which ultimately know you the best :) You're right, there are LOTS of options. Just keep an open mind.

19. lindsay says:

i am glad you settled on the decision you feel most comfortable with. that is most important! you definitely don't want to slog through marathon training – it is no fun. if you are "in the mood" in a month or two, you can always find another one to train for. they don't all have to be enormo races right?

20. Susan says:

There will always be another marathon you can register for, so if your heart isn't in it right now, you can always find another one that you can do when you decide you're ready for it. Marathon training takes a lot of commitment, so it's important to be ready to jump in with both feet! And there's definitely nothing wrong with running halfs!

21. this says:

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was
    good. I don’t know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous
    blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!
    this recently posted..thisMy Profile

22. Your style is really unique in comparison to other people I have read stuff from.
    Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I’ll just
    book mark tuis site.
    Orange Telephone Number recently posted..Orange Telephone NumberMy Profile

23. This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more
    of your wonderful post. Also, I’ve shared your webste in my socikal networks!
    sky customer Service number recently posted..sky customer Service numberMy Profile

24. I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this poist is
    written by him as nobody elsee know such detailed about my problem.

Youu are wonderful! Thanks!
    Whats The Child benefits contact number recently posted..Whats The Child benefits contact numberMy Profile

25. I think this is among the most significant info for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things,
    The website style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D.

Good job, cheers
    pond professional recently posted..pond professionalMy Profile

26. Best Sale says:

Accordingly, when providers report their taxable sales to the Board, they are entitled to claim a deduction for sales taxes included in Medicare B reimbursements.
    The customers are eager for free trials & would like to try
    it out. Check out the Cheap Tattoo kits for sale available online.
    Best Sale recently posted..Best SaleMy Profile

27. I do not even know the way I ended up right here, but I believed this post
    was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you are
    going to a famous blogger if you are noot already. Cheers!
    increase serotonin naturally recently posted..increase serotonin naturallyMy Profile

28. Appreciation to my father who tolld me on the topic of this web
    site, this webpage is truly remarkable.
    http://www.412gether.com recently posted..http://www.412gether.comMy Profile